usb driver problem

Thomas McGrath III mcgrath3 at mac.com
Sun Jan 23 00:19:35 EST 2011

Found some more information on this from the Arduino Forums. It seems to me that the disconnect connect in HT is similar to what I have been doing by hand. And that HT is doing some kind of buffering due to incorrect Flow Control Settings. But how can I test this in LC???

> "When my program starts I set up initial parameter by sending their values to Arduino in dialog mode, then I receive and log incoming data. I test my code with Serial Monitor in Arduino 0007 Alpha IDE and everything is OK - I send and receive information to/from Arduino. When I try to do this with Windows Hyper Terminal I can’t send information to Arduino. The information is sending to Arduino only when I disconnect and connect again. With data that I receive I don’t have problems. "

> "my impression is that there seems to be a hidden control character that that the IDE sends to put the Arduino into "Serial Monitor" mode."

> "For example to adjust my software system clock on Arduino Board in IDE I send something like this string:
>
> “h3im5dg” and <Enter> "

> "In Hyper Terminal this don’t work, but I make it to work. I connect to COM3, write “h3im5dg”, click “Disconnect”, click “Connect” and characters are sent, the clock is set and I receive data from Arduino. If I don’t Disconnect-and-Connect I can’t send data.
> It works, but this is very inconvenient way……….."

> "HyperTerminal might be doing some sort of strange buffering, I'm not sure.  There's nothing magic about the Arduino serial monitor (it doesn't send any special codes to the board or anything). "

> "I was experiencing a problem like this, i think i fixed it by changing the flow control settings."

> "FOund the problem... In HyperTerminal you have to set flow control to off to stop HT from buffering the input... Works like a charm now.."

-- Tom McGrath III
http://lazyriver.on-rev.com
3mcgrath at comcast.net