secure FTP to on-rev server best practice

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Mon Jan 17 15:38:39 EST 2011

Andre Garzia <andre at ...> writes:

> Martin,
>
> you can't use SFTP or FTP-SSL with on-rev.
>
> andre
>
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Martin Koob <mkoob at ...> wrote:
>

> > I have been trying to use SFTP to connect to the on-rev.com server when I
> > am
> > uploading and managing files for a site hosted on on-rev.  I have not been
> > able to connect via SFTP.  I have tried with Interarchy and Cyberduck.   I
> > get a connection refused message.
> >
> > With Cyberduck I can connect with FTP-SSL (Explicit AUTH TLS)
> > -this shows a lock icon in the GUI
> > With Interarchy I can set FTP uses SSL (AUTH TLS) : required in the
> > security
> > preferences
> > -there is no visible indication in the GUI that there is a secure
> > connection

Hi Andre

With Cyberduck when I first tried to connect using FTP-SSL it would
not connect because the certificate from odin.on-rev.com was not
trusted.   When I clicked 'Always trust "odin.on-rev.com' then the
connection opened.  When I look in the keychain I find the certificate
for odin.on-rev.com and has SSL - always trust as the settings for the
certificate and it is trusted for ftp for my on-rev site

So it appears that at least FTP-SSL is working with on-rev using Cyberduck
or am I missing something.

Martin