problem importing tab delimited text files

Ian McKnight iangmcknight at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 18:16:20 EST 2011

Thanks for the advice David. I went back and checked. As I still had the
text file open in Excel when I was trying to import it into LC the file must
have been locked in some way by Excel - as soon as I closed the file in XL
it worked perfectly. Makes perfect sense really.

I think I'll start writing down my gaffs down in a notebook to try and save
time in future :)

Thanks again.

On 15 January 2011 22:53, David C. <davidocoker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Ian McKnight <iangmcknight at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have a table of data in an excel spreadsheet.40 rows x 30 columns
> approx.
> > I save the file as a tab delimited text file for import into LC.
> > I import the file and its empty - nothing there in LC.
> > I open the text file in Notepad and save it again, making no changes.
> > I import the same file into LC again and all the data is where it should
> be.
> >
> > My question is what could be preventing LC from importing an 'Excel' text
> > file (or perhaps failing to detect the information it contains) since
> there
> > are no errors generated.
> >
> > I thought that this problem was an aberration on my part but no it has
> > reappeared this evening.
> >
> > Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Using LC 4.5.1 on Win 7
> >

> > --
> > Regards
> >

> > Ian McKnight
> >
> > iangmcknight at gmail.com
> >

> Hello Ian,
> I use tab delimited files from excel all the time without any
> difficulties... same exact platform and LC version.
>
> Based on your description, I'd try to open just a simple text file
> without tabs, just to verify that the intended file is being opened
> successfully. (Been there, done that, more than once)
>
> Also, make sure to set the itemdelimiter to tab. (Been there, done that
> also)
>
> It has always been solid as a rock for me on this end and I cannot
> imagine any other scenario where it would fail.
>
> Best regards,
> David C.

Regards

Ian McKnight