Windows code signing

David C. davidocoker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 16:15:51 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:
> Then developers won't use it, end users won't like it, and all will be well with the world. What's wrong with that? Steve Jobs is not FORCING people to sell their software this way. If he was, THEN you would have a gripe. You may as well complain that you can get food online now, instead of the "old model" of getting it in supermarkets, which worked perfectly well.
>
> Honestly, I don't get the angst.
>
> Bob

Hey Bob,
I probably worded my reply "heavier" than it was actually intended...
...I just love as much freedom as possible, in all that I do.

Hopefully without stirring up a hornets nest, I'll add that I see very
little difference between Apple and Microsoft in terms of how they
treat their users in general. Although Apple has a much better (and
deserved) reputation overall, they are extremely "closed up" and
"walled in" in terms of the rights of the end user. That's you, I and
our neighbors.

The app store I see as little more than an additional battening down
of hatches, as in:

You WILL use OUR operating system on OUR hardware from OUR store from
OUR approved applications list, made available from OUR approved
developers... and you WILL like it.

I understand that the "user experience" is a huge draw for anything
Apple, but is that really worth having every detail in the process
dictated? Food for thought.

Best regards,
David C.