OT: Are Microsoft really at it again!

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Jan 13 19:49:08 EST 2011

Actually, I don't think it does require IE. You can have updates download and install automatically, or you can use the command line tool wuauclt. The switch you want is /detectnow. There is no /installnow though. Odd huh? Instead there is a script someone wrote that will force Windows Update Services to do the update. It's called updatehfhf.vbs. You would launch it from a command line using cscript.exe <path-to-updatehf.vbs>. I use it in conjunction with PSTools (psexec) to force an update of Windows for all my domain computers.

One caveat though. It appears that certain updates cannot be received until you run the Windows Genuine Advantage update which ONLY runs from IE. At least it will not download in the WSUS server (local instance of Windows Update Server).

Bob