Custom Print Dialog

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Tue Jan 11 00:02:16 EST 2011

Quicken has these issues too  - no custom dialog box for writing checks
except one that opens before to the Print dialog that asks for the starting
number and the app decides how many copies are needed.  I've never changed
the "number of copies" field when using Quicken, but I imagine printing
dupicates of checks with wrong numbers would be bad so I don't do it.
Quicken is a pretty popular app. My take is don't worry about it. You
certainly won't be violating HUI 'standards' whaever they are. Perhaps we
all should give users the benefit of the doubt - can't hand-hold everything,
or provide for every eventuality. Print handlers are complex and best left
to the system way. It would be more of a HUI mistake to make your own dialog
that may throw the user.

MacOS does allow for a special pane for the application - like used in
Safari - and might be something that could be set up with an external.