Mac App Store compliance

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 4 11:19:53 EST 2011

Richard Miller wrote:

> Could you expand on the issue of non-standard GUI elements?... perhaps
> some examples of what is not acceptable?

Hard to say specifically beyond those I cited earlier.  There seems to
be a subjective element to the App Store review process, so the precise
expectations a developer must comply with may not be knowable in
advance, and conceivably may differ depending on the personality of the
individual reviewer your app winds up with.

> If self-updating is not allowed, what is the easiest alternative? Or is
> this app store going to operate like the iPad store, where the OS always
> informs the user when an update is available?

AFAIK, if you implement a bug fix or enhancement for your customers, the
only way to make it available to them is to resubmit it to Apple's
review queue and wait a few weeks for it to go through that process.

For those of us who strive to deliver bug fixes as close to instantly as
possible, this is a disappointment for both ourselves and our customers.

I suppose the upside is that it encourages us to be more disciplined
before release, to strive for the uncommon role of making one of the
very few software products ever to exist that ships with zero bugs. ;)

If there's an alternate means by which we can shorten the
time-to-delivery for our customers who use the App Store I'd be very
glad to be wrong on this.

It's also unclear whether App Store presence is exclusive; that is, if
you sell an app through the App Store can you also sell it at your own
web site?

If so, that would provide a means of delivering timely updates without
the unnecessary delay of waiting for a third-party bogged down by
reviewing other apps that have nothing to do with your relationship with
your customer.

If this sort of non-exclusivity is allowed, it then begs the question of
whether the publisher is allowed to set their own price points which may
differ from those in the App Store.

I can imagine more than a few developers who make strong products
offering them at a lower price when purchased at their own store vs. the
App Store, so that those who prefer the App Store shoulder the cost for
that convenience while other customers aren't burdened by paying for
that overhead when it doesn't benefit them.

Given the Sherman Act's wording about price fixing, I suspect Apple's
solution to avoid this is to simply not allow an app sold through the
App Store to be sold elsewhere.

But again, I would be very happy to be wrong on this.

Anyone here know whether the App Store agreement is an exclusive one?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World