As Sheet Dialog

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jan 3 12:59:02 EST 2011

> In my current app I'm attempting to mitigate the very small text
> dialogs that appear in the Windows' version of applications by rolling
> my own. Some Dialogs such as the page setup present some major
> challenges to doing this, but with others it's not really much of a
>> problem; however, I would like the ones that I do create make their
> appearance as sheets. Can that be done?

A couple of points: the dialogs will be the same size as the customer is
used to, because they are pulled from the OS directly. They probably
will not appear small to your users, they will look like every other
app's dialogs.

Second, sheets are a Mac-only feature. For those Windows users who have
a gut-level aversion to anything Mac (and there are plenty of those,)
you may offend by implementing a sheet window. Most users want their
software to conform to the interface that is standard for their
operating system, and software is usually judged by how well it does
that. If you mess up their expected interface, they'll scream "this is a
Mac port!", just as Mac users turn up their noses at software that is
obviously ported from Windows.

The more you allow the OS to manage your windows and interface elements,
the better your software will be perceived by its users. Another big
advantage is that LiveCode does all the work and you don't have to worry
about how your windows and buttons look, LiveCode will take care of all
that.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com