Recording audio with LC

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Fri Feb 25 11:29:43 EST 2011

Thanks for the various input!

Devin: Appreciate the link to your tutorial, and the tip to check
out the LC dictionary. Why, oh, why does the RunRev 4 pdf manual
not even /mention/ audio recording? Now I need to get the audio
interface installed on my machine with LC, and see if I can get
it to properly assign channels and record multiple clips. If it
uses Quicktime, it may well work (on OSX...)

Stephen: I may have used the wrong word in "archive" -- we're not
needing a true archive quality collection. We just have to
reclaim some of our very pricey Tokyo real estate by getting
decades of recordings off the shelves and onto hard drives (with
backups of course.) I've worked in radio and TV production for 30
years and am aware of and able to deal with the hardware/tech
issues, including checking levels, recording quality, etc.
'Metadata' will be simple folders and filenames to match what's
already on the tape labels. No need to try to gather info on the
contents of the audio. As cheap as disk space is (compared to
real estate) I'm happy to go long and record 'dead air' -- just
don't want the thing to record hours of silence if I get
distracted by another task. Correcting filenames is such a fussy
task in the Finder. Want to use LC to let me type in the titles
of 8 tapes, record 8 mono tracks, save the files with the list of
names I typed in, and, finally, hit the 'Stop Button' for me
after a predetermined time. Next step is to test if LC can assign
channels from the interface, and record 8 clips at once. I'll be
the one using it, so it doesn't have to be pretty nor bullet-proof.

Bob: Appreciate your words of wisdom on consistent workflow -- I
agree, that's essential. Fortunately, our needs are simple --
mono .aif's, filenames same as current tape labels. We're not on
a SAN. I built a simple 16 drive Linux NAS, two RAIDs of 8 drives
each -- one data, one backup (RAID 6). Used Linux' software RAID
(mdadm). The beauty of that is zero vendor lock in. I can pop the
8 drives of the backup RAID out of the machine, take them
off-site. Stick 'em in any other Linux box, no matter what SATA
cards used, and the RAID pops right back up, ready to use. You
hear too many horror stories of hardware RAID cards failing,
can't get the same card any more, so all your data's toast!  With
gigabit ethernet on the NAS, and get an easy 70-80MBps
throughput, and have gone over 100MBps when copying to the NAS
from multiple machines. (I'm storing all our production video on
these 32TB NAS boxes, too.

Lynn: Your website's info seemed a little sparse, don't get a
good picture of what the software does. Downloaded and installed
it, but trying to run the demo stack only results in errors. Can
it record up to 8 audio tracks at once? If so, I'm willing to
work a little more on getting it running....