Efficient code for accessing the items (or lines) in a variable.

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Feb 20 20:29:56 EST 2011

On 20/02/2011 17:13, Colin Holgate wrote:
> I just did some timing tests, partly to see if using an array might help with speed. It didn't, but in doing the test I thought of a neater way of testing than I've done before.
>
> Usually my testing would resemble this:

> Then I would type in "oneway" or "otherway" in the message box. It works well enough, but if I decide to change how many repeats to do I have to go in and change each place. There's also a lot of same lines, where I'm making note of the time.
>
> What I did just now is below, and to test the various technique I just type "timeit technique,repeatcount" in the message box. So for example, to test the "for each" way of working through a set of items, and I want it to do enough that I get a good average, I would type "timeit foreach,10000".

Nice infrastructure for timing tests. Betraying my lack of HC
background, I never the the msg box for this, but rather I have a test
stack with one button and one field, and the butotn's mouseUp handler
does the whole test for me :-)

The results I got for working through 1000 entries, 10,000 times, was:
> for each 1075mS
> repeat with 1370mS
> count array 4250

I think those times are irrelevant. To make them meaningful, you need to
actually *use* the item within the loop, otherwise you don't see the
effects of any efficiency gain or loss. I added the highlighted lines
below, and then re-ran your tests

                     as-is     using item