Google Store...

Chipp Walters chipp at altuit.com
Fri Feb 18 17:55:16 EST 2011

The most interesting point, IMO, is the one Richard alludes to. Most people don't know this, but it's simple to create a website, which runs in iOS Safari, and has a button, PUT THIS WEB APP ON MY IPAD. Pressing the button allows a user to place the web app, including glossy icon, directly on the iPad's desktop.

And by creating such an app, developers gets to:

- Bypass completely the AppStore
- Update the App as quickly and often as they likes
- Access specific API's in iOS
- Keep money for themselves
- Run on multiple platforms, not just iOS.

I suppose if one plays this out to a logical conclusion, assuming Apple doesn't capitulate and maintains it's desire for control, Apple will at some time in the future remove this feature from iOS.

And, just when are we going to see all of this greedy goodness come to the Mac? My guess is sooner than later- but it will be gradual, probably with plenty of Apple fans to cheer them on. For instance, last I checked you can offer a free program in the Mac store, then drive customers to your website to purchase the feature enhanced version. I assume Steve will be changing that soon in a new set of license terms. Seems like Apple changes their mind on licensing about as often as Lindsay Lohan changes hers on staying sober. And both wonder why people make such a big deal. :-)

The other point concerning a monopoly-- Apple right now has THE monopoly on mobile tablets. That much is clear.

My guess is Amazon doesn't mind playing chicken with Apple on this. They can afford to not change Kindle and wait until Apple throws them off iOS, then cry foul and sue Apple, meanwhile offering discounts to iPad customers on Android tablets and Kindles. Heck, they might even try to support a class action lawsuit for those people (like Andre and myself) who don't own a Kindle, yet have dozens of books on our iPad, which we could not then use.

If that comes to pass, Apple will continue to look like a controlling big brother company-- which at some point will take it's toll. Probably soon after Jobs leaves us, as the rumors are the company doesn't have much of a succession plan.

It will be interesting!

Chipp Walters
CEO, Shafer Walters Group, Inc