[OT] standard screen resolutions

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:37:28 EST 2011

I have been developing for a standard screen-res of 1024 x 768 and have
fallen foul of the following:

1. Some people seem to have a standard of 1280 x 720 [bottom-of-the-pile
laptop ????]

2. Overlapping the Windows startBar or the Mac menuBar.

I should be extremely grateful for feedback on:

3. What screen resolutions most of you are developing for.

4. How many pixels fat the Windows startBar is.

5. How many pixels fat the Mac menuBar is.

I am typing this on a Hewlett-Packard Pentium 4 running Ubuntu something
( "Hairy Scotsman"
I think) with a Samsung flat-thing at 1360 x 768, so that is no very
great help at all. My Mac mini
is attached to a no-name flat-thing with a vast screen-res so also no help.

I assume nobody (???) has a screen-res height of anything less than 720
(err . . . 600 ?)
anymore.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.