Referencing a single datagrid cell

zryip theSlug zryip.theslug at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 19:01:59 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Bob Sneidar <bobs at twft.com> wrote:
> Ok Peter helped me understand the GetDataOfIndex/SetDataOfIndex functions. I think when I read, "- Retrieves the internal array for key pIndex of the internal array in the data grid..." I just assumed that the returned value would always be an array. I see now that if you reference a column name for the second argument you get a value instead.

Internally the datagrid works with arrays even if you populate with
the dgText property.

For populating a datagrid of 3 columns with the dgData property we
could use a script such as:

put "a1" into theData[1]["col1"]
put "b1" into theData[1]["col2"]
put "c1" into theData[1]["col3"]
put "a2" into theData[2]["col1"]
put "b2" into theData[2]["col2"]
put "c2" into theData[2]["col3"]

Now if you transpose this code as bricks or pieces of puzzle and
encase each piece by index and column names you could get:

theData[1]["col1"]["col2"]["col3"]
                  a1       b1       c1
theData[2]["col1"]["col2"]["col3"]
                  a2       b2       c2

Now let's join the col names and extract each index

theData["col1"]["col2"]["col3"]
1             a1        b1      c1
2             a2        b2      c2

Then you have a double entry table: the datagrid.

Understand how working with arrays is one of the key to understand the
datagrid object, I think. It make good sense why a name of a column
(not the label) must be filled and unique: its just a key in an array.

getDataOfIndex simply read the corresponding value in a double entry
table such as you could do it in a spreadsheet, by using A2 or L2C1

Best regards,

--
-Zryip TheSlug- wish you the best! 8)
http://www.aslugontheroad.co.cc