Update on Android and OpenGL in Froyo

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Dec 26 01:27:34 EST 2011

Just a heads-up to those developing for Android. I've been trying to
solve an issue on my 2.2.1 tablet for some time. When I set dynamic
rendering to use OpenGL, my app launches to a black screen and hangs
indefinitely. It is always repeatable.

I'm grateful to Ralph DiMola who offered to help test. He's running
Android 2.2.1 on his phone, and had exactly the same result, so it looks
like a problem with Froyo. Several people had run my app with no
problems, but everyone else was on 2.3 or 3.x. I'll let RR know so they
can work on a fix.

In the mean time, if you are developing for Android and using the new
rendering features, be aware that if you set rendering to use OpenGL it
may fail on devices running Froyo 2.2.1 (and maybe below.) Software
rendering works fine, though a bit slower, so a work-around is to check
the system version and if it's below 2.3, use software rendering.

The last I heard, about 30% of the Android population was still on
Froyo, so failure in a released app could have repercussions. It would
be best to use the work-around if you need to release soon.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com