Database syntax

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 03:48:20 EST 2011

Actually, this was precisely the situation in which multiple LC
arrays, being used as "tables", where the array key was the primary
key of the "table", and joining these "tables" was far faster to do
using LC arrays than any in-memory SQL database.  Admittedly these
were only 2-way and 3-way joins, so _maybe_ if they were 7-way joins I
might not have seen the same performance difference.

If you need a RDBMS (and integrity checks, triggers, etc), then you
probably do need it -- there's no point in re-inventing the wheel.
But if you need to just store a list of blobs, then an array with
pointers to blobs on the filesystem might still be much faster (and
much simpler).

I'm not opposed to RDBMS per se.  In my time, I've used Oracle,
Firebird, Frontbase, Postgresql, Openbase, HSQL, Valentina and Sqlite,
and I still use some of those if the situation needs it.

Bernard