characters lost pasting from Word To LiveCode field

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Dec 13 19:27:17 EST 2011

Pasting from Office applications has been discussed in length in prior threads, but the gist of it is, Microsoft maintains their own internal clipboard to facilitate pasting between their dissimilar applications, so that a range of cells copied from a spreadsheet can be pasted into a word document as an active link or a table object etc.

When you paste in another non-Microsoft app, MS does a clipboard conversion to make it compatible with the receiving app. I believe you are discovering some of the limitations to that.

Now I just copied an emdash, switched to Livecode, and then entered put chartonum(the clipboardData) into the message box and got blank. I then copied the emdash from Word, pasted it into a rich text textedit document, copied it again, then issued the same command.

In the first instance I got empty. In the second I got 209. That tells me that Word is performing a clipboard conversion for Livecode that kills the character. The clipboard conversion for textedit works just fine.

Whose fault is it do you ask? Beats the heck out of me! Pick a number from Runrev to Microsoft.

Bob