When to release a free Android app? (development cycle)

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Dec 9 14:50:55 EST 2011

On 09/12/2011 19:32, Pete wrote:
> Sounds like you're pretty familiar with the Kindle Fire.  I'm thinking of
> getting one primarily for web access to my Google mail, docs, calendar,
> contacts, etc.  How's the web browser on it?  Do you find the lack of
> access to the Android Market a problem?

Alas, I'm not at all familiar with it.  I took the opportunity to get one
while I was on a trip to the US last week, just to mess around with; because
it's pretty cheap as an Android tablet, and because I suspect there's a good
chance it's quickly going to become the most widely owned Android tablet.

Unfortunately I can't at present use the Amazon App Store at all, because
Amazon require your 1-click account to be set up with a US-based credit card,
and I don't have one (even free apps can't be downloaded in this situation;
and although I can buy myself an Amazon gift card and credit it so that paid
apps would be billed against that instead of the registered 1-click credit
card, it still won't play ball. There doesn't seem to be any way round this at
present.)

If I was serious, I'd presumably root the device and hence access the Android
market. But for the moment I'm just playing with it when I should be getting
on with my real work.  I must say I thought it was splendid when I opened a
random stack from my disk, checked build for 'Android', and immediately had an
approximately working app on the device.  But err... that's about as far as
I'd got with it, until I started playing with Andy's app tonight, which has
led me to start poking around a bit more.

FWIW, if I'd bought it as a consumer - at least one very familiar with the
iPhone and iPad - I'd think it was as crude as hell.  The web browser is ugly
and hard to use, things don't scroll smoothly, the interface is horrible, the
'Pulse' app doesn't work properly, it keeps losing WiFi... etc.  Some of this
may be the result of being very familiar with iOS, not all familiar with
Android.  I think myself most of it is because it really is crude as hell.
But, it was $199 instead of $600.  For watching movies on, it's probably fine.
  And if I could only download Angry Birds, my guess is that would play fine too.

Ben