Android Malware

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Wed Aug 24 16:49:44 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Bob Sneidar wrote:

> This just in! Bob gains in popularity as more and more people try to poke
> him in the eye with a sharp stick! LOL
>
> Bob
>

> On Aug 24, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
> > Charles Szasz wrote:
> >
> >> According to McAfee's Second Quarter report Android malware has
> increased by 76%. The following was reported by AppleInsider...
> >
> > As with nearly any issue, there are many ways to present the data. Here's
> another view of the same report:
> >
> >   Malware becomes the measure of success in smartphone market
> >
> >   Android takes the lead with disappointingly small number of
> >   threats, as iOS struggles with none
> >
> > <
> http://www.itworld.com/security/196625/malware-becomes-measure-success-smartphone-market
> >

> > I started a reply to some of the details of the report and their
> implications here, but rather than make another one of my TL/DRs I posted it
> to the LiveCode Journal blog instead:
> >
> > <http://livecodejournal.com/blog.irv?pid=1314196673.686612>
> >

> > The bottom line here is well summarized by the portion of the report you
> had quoted:
> >
> >   "This increase in threats to such a popular platform should
> >    make us evaluate our behavior on mobile devices and the
> >    security industry’s preparedness to combat this growth."
> >
> > Note that the report suggests no distinction of specific devices or OSes
> there, but more wisely notes that such considerations apply to all mobile
> devices.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Gaskin
> > Fourth World
> > LiveCode training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
> > Webzine for LiveCode developers: http://www.LiveCodeJournal.com
> > LiveCode Journal blog: http://LiveCodejournal.com/blog.irv

I'm probably guilty of adding fuel to the fire on controversial topics, but
if we all (self included) would do this one thing before posting, people
would be less likely to react defensively.  Take your email into a text
editor, and find/replace the name of the OS/computer/car/cheese you are
speaking of with your very own chosen OS/computer/car/cheese, then read it
as if someone else has written it.  If you offend yourself, then someone
else who loves their #1 OS/computer/car/cheese will respond negatively to
your post.  iOS is cool, and so is Android.  There are Android devices out
there with build-quality equal to that of an iPad2.  Both platforms are
vulnerable to attacks, and as Richard has noted, we the developers must use
our best judgement in writing "safe" apps for any platform.

~Roger