Using the Detailed Files Function to Get Info From a Remote Machine

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Tue Aug 16 18:14:41 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> Gregory,
>
> Are you sure that they don't because they usually return the same output as
> "ls" which contains such data.... strange...
>
> andre
>
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Gregory Lypny
> <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>wrote:
>
> > Thanks Andre,
> >
> > The LIST option returns what url (“ftp://...”) does in the absence of
> > libURLSetFTPListCommand, so I guess the idea of the command is to toggle
> > between LIST and NLST.  Unfortunately, neither returns the creation or
> > modification dates of the files.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Gregory

If all you need is the modified date/time of a file from an FTP site, the
MDTM command works well.

put libURLftpCommand("MDTM " & pathToFile, tFtpServer, tFtpUserName,
tFtpUserPassword) into tMDTM
answer tMDTM

The commands like LIST, RETR, etc. that need an open socket won't work with
this form.  Commands which perform an action such as renaming a file work
well, and return a simple result string.

I wish there was a get the detailedFTPfiles command in LC.

http://www.nsftools.com/tips/RawFTP.htm#MDTM

˜Roger