Retrieving Date and Time From The Internet

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Aug 16 14:13:58 EDT 2011

Okay, I contacted the USNO site via email and requested that they include the year in the returned date/time.

I have a modified script which includes the year, but I caution you that the convert command is getting the current year from the system if it is not supplied, which defeats the whole purpose of getting the Real Time. We are still at the mercy of the system date and whatever the user sets it to.

Until someone can come up with an HTTP link that returns the year with the date and time, or else Livecode supports NTP queries, we are SOL. I have searched high and low and cannot find one single web site besides http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl that returns anything usable. Leave it up to a sailor to get you most of the way there, and then let you swim the rest of the way! LOL! (I'm an ex-sailor so I can say that).

function realTime theFormat, useOffset
   if useOffset is empty then put false into useOffset
   put "http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl" into theURL
   get url theURL
   put it into theResult
   filter theResult with "<BR>*UTC*"
   replace "<BR>" with empty in theResult
   put word 1 to 3 of theResult into theResult
   put word 4 of the internet date into theYear -- bummer relies on system datetime

   if useOffset then
      put word -1 of theResult into theTime
      put word -1 of the internet date into theZoneOffset
      put theZoneOffset /100 into theZoneOffset
      set the itemdelimiter to ":"
      put (item 1 of theTime + theZoneOffset) into item 1 of theTime
      put theTime into word -1 of theResult
   end if

   put space & theYear after word 2 of theResult

   if theFormat is "seconds" then
      -- not entirely accurate as it returns the same value with the year
      -- as it does without it, leading me to believe the convert command
      -- is accessing the system datetime to get the year if it is not provided
      convert theResult to seconds
   end if

   return theResult
end realTime