[OT] Internet Censorship

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Mon Aug 15 15:20:13 EDT 2011

All good advice, except I'd like to add a couple often overlooked points. There is a difference between "knowing" and "knowing how to find out". I have IT guys working for me who are constantly asking me questions about how to do things. A simple Google query produces the results they were looking for, at which point they walk out of my office with a sheepish look on their faces.

There is also a difference between "knowing" and "knowing how to apply" knowledge. I had an IT guy who had 3 Microsoft certifications. I had to let him go because he could never let go of what he *thought* he knew, and look at the problem intuitively. He was always bogged down in obscure log entries which had nothing to do with the problem at hand. He never to my knowledge solved a single problem by himself.

I daresay, I have no real education in what I do, and yet I am good at it (I think you might disagree), because I started with an ability to look at a problem and dissect it, and also an ability to understand complex systems, which I put to great use in the Navy working on Radars. A lot of those skills I honed there crossed over into what I do now.

I'd like to provide you with a couple of examples of highly paid programmers putting out crap: Windows ME. Then there is Outlook, which if not connected to an Exchange server will crash to desktop if it receives an email with a confirmation request (the default behavior and yes I know it can be turned off). Honorable mention is ADMT which I could never get to work as advertised, even after following all the advice about registry changes, command line statements to alter the way it is set up to use out of the box etc. It's just crap software produced by a HUGE software corporation after the fact, because when they first wrote AD no one ever thought about what do do when one company merged with another and all the thousands of credentials and profiles needed to be moved to the new companies servers.

"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding."

Bob