[OT] Unboxing the Acer Android Tablet

Admin admin at mfelkerco.com
Tue Aug 2 08:35:46 EDT 2011

I'll tell you why.

Unlike apple, which controls every facet of
app creation and takes a healthy cut of the profits AND charges to allow
you to become a developer AND makes it near impossible to publish
anything, Android and google have a more hands off approach.

Does this
mean the market is FLOODED with substandard apps - YEP. However, as
always, the cream rises to the top. There are FANTASTIC apps out there,
it's just that you have to wade through the crap to get to them.

This
begs the question, is control better or worse. The very nature of the
open source android development 3rd party realm dictates that there will
be more useless apps available - but it also means that more and more
people can try their hand at creating apps. The truly good ones will
surface.

If you want a better app experience, try amazon apps. It's a
free download and they give a free commercial app away every single day.
Yesterday they gave away Guitar Hero 5. Before that, it was a database
app. It is a MUCH better marketplace.

But that's the point. There is
not just one marketplace, there are HUNDREDS. Some great, some not so
great and some truly amazing.

Mike

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 01:35:31
-0500, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Hey Lynn,
>
> I'm typing this from a
standard USB keyboard which I just plugged into the
> side of my
Android.

> And I can use a standard USB mouse to click the send
button. Miraculously,
> when you attach keyboard and a mouse, this thing
turns into a PC. The
> onscreen keyboard goes away and an arrow cursor
appears, which you control
> via the mouse just like expected. Pretty
cool. iPad certainly can't do THAT.

> Even so, I've checked the
Android App Store and it's predictably pretty
> lame. Why can't Google,
with all the billions and billions, create some
> killer Android Apps,
like Apple does for iPad? There's really no good
> PowerPoint clone that
I can see, nor is there any decent sketch note taking
> apps, for which
there are a couple on iPad.

> That said, it appears there's not
enough money for devs for such apps, even
> on the iPad. I've noticed
the top 3 to 4 note apps on iPad have pretty much
> ceased all
development for quite some time now. And none of them are what I
> would
consider 'professional' apps. I guess you can't survive on charging a

buck ninety-nine per app. I suspect, I too, would quit free updates for
my
> customers after two or three trys.
>
> Still a long way to go
before this is all worked out.
> On Aug 2, 2011 1:03 AM, "Lynn
Fredricks"
> wrote:
>
>>> But, it does seem to be more Windows like
and less Mac like in that it has many more settings and configuration
options. Plus (big plus) it has both micro and full USB slots for memory
storage along with built in micro-HDMI. Both front and rear facing
cameras are significantly higher quality than iPad2, and I'm praying
they work with Skype, which would be huge.
>> Chipp, have you tried
plugging in random USB devices (mice, etc) to see if there's any sort of
plug-n-play/pray like experience? That's something Ive wondered about.
It would be nice to be able to attach whatever input

> devices

one already has. Ive been giving thought to papa's first tablet... Best
regards, Lynn Fredricks President Paradigma Software
http://www.paradigmasoft.com [1] Valentina SQL Server: The Ultra-fast,
Royalty Free Database Server

href="mailto:use-livecode at lists.runrev.com">use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubs
> age your subscription
preferences: http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode [4]

Links:
------