Rev/Livecode project and GPL Licenses

Scott McDonald runrevplanet at smpcs.server101.com
Fri Apr 15 00:49:27 EDT 2011

I looked into this a while back and my understanding was:

* If you link to a library released under the GPL terms, then you cannot
sell your product commercially.

* But if the library is released under the LGPL terms (which are different),
then it is OK to sell your product commercially.

* If your software uses a GPL library that is hosted on a server then that
is fine for commercial software.

* But if your user needs to download the GPL software (or you want to
include it in your download bundle) then your product cannot be sold
commercially if it links to it.

As mentioned above these are just my conclusions, and I am not a lawyer.

-----
--
Scott McDonald
"Components, Controls, Tools and Resources for LiveCode"