revCopyFile slow?

Web Admin Himalayan Academy katir at hindu.org
Sat Apr 9 21:34:49 EDT 2011

  On 4/8/11 6:25 AM, Maarten Koopmans wrote:
> I'll just write a copyfile function in LC then. That should be near-C
> speed, assuming open/read/write are implemented close to the os.
>
> Thanks, Maarten
I would second Mark's option to use shell, I have a complete in-house
version control system for InDesign files that runs pretty much entirely
using cp and mv  .

These all run about as fast as the network and disk I/0 can handle...

e.g.

command Checkout pFileName

    CheckServerIsMounted

    if the uServerMounted of this stack <> "true" then
       answer  "Sorry, Server is not mounted, you cannot check out
files." with "OK"
       exit to top
    end if
    # Make a copy in Versions Archive
    put (the uServerProjectPath of this stack) &"/"& pFileName into
tCurrentLocationPath
    put tCurrentLocationPath into tArchivePath
    set the itemDelimiter to "/"
    put "/Versions Archive" after item 5 of tArchivePath
    put ("cp " & quote & tCurrentLocationPath & quote &" "& quote &
tArchivePath & quote) into tShell
    get shell (tShell)

    # update Control string and rename the top level file

    put the uUserInitials of this stack into char -7 to -6 of pFileName
    replace "-ci-" with "-co-" in pFileName
    put (the uServerProjectPath of this stack) &"/"& pFileName into
tNewNamePath
    put ("mv " & quote & tCurrentLocationPath & quote &" "& quote &
tNewNamePath & quote) into tShell
    get shell (tShell)

         # Copy to local folder
      put gLocalProjectPath &"/"& pFileName into tNewLocalPath
    put ("cp " & quote & tNewNamePath & quote &" "& quote &
tNewLocalPath & quote) into tShell
    get shell (tShell)

       # update GUI now

    LoadVersionFiles gCurrentProject

    # boot InDesign and edit

    launch (tNewLocalPath) with (the uInDesignPath of this stack)  #
expand to handle other file types

end Checkout