Real Basic Web edition - No Plugin Required!

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 10:04:22 EDT 2010

  On 09/15/2010 04:45 PM, David Bovill wrote:
> On 15 September 2010 14:08, AndyP<smudge.andy at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that Real Basic are about to launch a web edition.
>> Went to their site expecting a web plugin requirement and found this:
>>
>> 'REAL Studio Web Edition apps run as a FastCGI on Apache.' !
>>
>> http://www.realsoftware.com/web/ http://www.realsoftware.com/web/
>>
>> No plugin so works on most default Apache set ups. As it's a cgi it will
>> work on Ipad, Iphone and most browsers.
>>
>> Now I'm not a Real Basic fan but have to say that having the web version to
>> output FastCGI is pretty neat.
>>
>> Surely this is a better way for RunRev to go for the web and avoid plugins
>> altogether. Wouldn't this open up the uses and market for RunRev?
>>
> Yes - I'd have to agree with you. Luckily we can get the same experience by
> working with Revolution and Rodeo<http://rodeoapps.com/>. RunRev should
> never

'never' is a rather strong word. It is entirely possible that the brainy
computery types
feel that way, but we workers down on the floor underneath the
leaf-mould really do
think the plugin is a good thing as it is relatively easy to move
directly from a stack to
something that is web-browser-deliverable with a minimum of pain.

> have put development effort into a plugin, it was always more sensible
> to develop integrated revServer / JavaScript solutions, but this is not a
> solution that RunRev with it's focus on the engine fully appreciated - I've
> never felt they got the web. Of course some people love the plugin, it makes
> me smile too,

What? condescendingly . . . or lovingly: I hope it is the latter . . .  :)

>   and only the future will truly tell

Yes, indeed it will; both Thee and Me will be outdated, outmoded and
out-manouevred before
we even realise what has happened to us; that is why I feel pretty
uncomfortable about using words
such as 'never'.