Need case studies - personal use and hobbyist

-=>JB<=- sundown at pacifier.com
Sat Sep 11 12:32:23 EDT 2010

I was working on a serial communication stack that would allow you to do
various things and one of them was going to allow you to automate your
home but when I would transfer files etc. after so much text was transferred
it would stop.  So I never even worked on automating a home but it looks
like it can be done with the right driver for the serial port to access a USB
X10 or similar USB device.

It seems to me Rev is using a buffer that fills up and then needs to be emptied
before you can transfer more text because when you close the port you have
the same amount of text you can transfer again then it stops again.

Does anyone know how to manage the memory when using the serial port?
If you cannot manage the memory a person would still be able to automate
their home but after you used it transferring the amount of text it takes to fill
up the Rev memory buffer that the serial port is using you would need to
close the port and reopen it again which is not professional and can be a
hassel too.

If nobody knows the answer is this the type of thing a person would use one
of the free support enterprise users are given?

-=>JB<=-