Bundle Shmundle: more "Bad Boy" mouthings.

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 04:22:17 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 9/2/10, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/03/2010 01:56 AM, J. Landman
> Gay wrote:
> > On 9/2/10 10:35 AM, Richmond wrote:
> >
> >> * HOWEVER; I got ever-so-slightly side-tracked
> when I found that a Mac
> >> Universal
> >> standalone constructed with RunRev Studio 4.0
> (linux) would not run on a
> >> Mac.
> >
> > There was a discussion about this a while back. The
> same thing also occurs when building for Mac on Windows
> machines. Basically, you need to set the executable bit,
> which you can only do on a Mac if I remember right. Your
> build will run once you do that.
> >

> So, if I read you correctly, anybody who wants to spin off
> a Mac standalone has to have access to
> a Mac machine to:
>
> 1. Set the executable bit?  [ Pass me the
> Alka-Seltzer; how does one do that? ]
>
>       "which you can only do on a Mac if I
> remember right"  not good.
>
> 2. Build Mac standalones?
>
> We've been Steved, perhaps?
>
> That is rather bad news as not everybody has the sort of
> wherewithall that they can have a Mac sitting
> ready for this.

In my experience, if you zip it up on Windows before you move it to the Mac, the Finder will add the missing executable flag as it unpacks the archive.
And if I copy it from my Win2K machine to a shared folder on my iMac (shared via Windows Sharing - aka SMB), the .app is also executable.
Perhaps what perople are experiencing is that if you copy it via a USB stick, unzipped, the Finder doesn't do this?

Jan Schenkel.
=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
www.quartam.com

=====