the siglum key ???

Jacques Hausser Jacques.Hausser at unil.ch
Sat Oct 30 07:28:06 EDT 2010

Le 30 oct. 2010 à 09:34, Richmond a écrit :

> Ugh; Apple, not content with hiding the # key from people on the East side of the Atlantic
> have also been playing "silly buggers" with the physical layout of keyboards:
>
> For instance:
>
> My non-American (this includes my English & Arabic Mac keyboard) keyboards have a
> siglum key in the top-left corner = rawKeyDown 0, and American keyboards have a
> "funny apostrophe" key in the same place = rawKeyDown 96.  rawKeyDown 96 on
> the non-American keyboards is snuggled down left of the Z key.
>
> For virtual keyboard people (like myself) working with LiveCode this is
> a right pox as, frankly, the thought of trying to set up some sort of keyboard
> detection routine followed by a "dance of the vampires" sort of arrangement
> whereby various buttons would merrily shift their position depending on the keyboard
> layout gives me the willies . . .
>
> Err . . . anybody know a way, within LiveCode/RunRev to detect an end-user's
> physical keyboard?????

THAT's a really good question ! Not sure my answer is the best one:

if you

put URL "file:/library/preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist" into tKeyboard

the variable tKeyboard will contain something like:

bplist00fl
"#$%&+-./_AppleNumberResID_AppleItlbNumber_ApplePreviousInputSource]AppleItlbKeys]Keyboard
Menu_AppleSelectedInputSources^AppleDateResID_
AppleCurrentAsciiInputSource_'AppleCurrentKeyboardLayoutInputSourceID]AppleItlbDate_AppleEnabledInputSources_AppleInputSourceHistory_AppleKeyboardScript_AppleCurrentInputSource_
AppleDefaultAsciiInputSource^AppleTimeResID—WsmRoman—?ˇ”_InputSourceKind_KeyboardLayout Name_KeyboardLayout ID_Keyboard Layout\Swiss French——
Vkcfg 0Ot             W         fl      W      ‡      G   P

   I   \  ?¨  ?≠  ?Ø  ?Æ  °!”—”_com.apple.keylayout.SwissFrench—¢'*”()VFrench”°,”””—  + > P k y á £ ≤ — ˚	$>Tnçúüß©¨Ø∂»fiÚ
ïóû°® Õ–◊fi‡ÁÈ˜˛             0

you can drop the unnnecessary things by

delete char 1 to (offset("apple.keyLayout.",tKeyboard) of tKeyboard
delete char (offset("—",-1)) of tKeyboard

... and tKeyboard should contain "SwissFrench" (on my Mac, at least)

I'm to lazy to check what mean the remaining stuff; perhaps something useful...

> Francophones get a free "word study" exercise with most of my postings . . .  :)
>
> NOW; in your livres vocabulaires, s'il vous plait?

traduttore tradittore... in the context of your post, I would translate

1. Pox  			a right pox: une vraie saloperie

2. Willies		it gives me the willies: ça me fiche les jetons

3. Silly Buggers	bougres de cinglés (bougre - and bugger) originally means bulgarian, eh, eh...

4. Snuggle down	camouflé sous

and may you all curse me for the hoofdpijn . . .  :) ???? I'm giving up !

Prof. Jacques Hausser
Department of Ecology and Evolution
Biophore / Sorge
University of Lausanne