[OT] Mac App Store

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Oct 24 20:54:33 EDT 2010

Recently, I wrote:

>> I am quite a novice in the whole iApp arena, but barring any methods of
>> cracking I haven't heard about yet, apps are more or less tied to a device
>> -- you cannot arbitrarily move apps from one device to another, and you
>> cannot distribute apps outside the app store (aside from testing and limited
>> distribution apps).  So "presumably", the someone wanting help legitimately
>> obtained your app.

Recently, Sarah Reichelt responded:

> Not quite true Scott.
>
> App purchases are tied to an Apple ID which may have more than one device.
> I have apps on both my iPhone & iPad and I have only bought them once.
> If I buy on my iPhone, then try to buy again on my iPad, I get a
> message saying "You have already bought this app. Click here to
> download it again for free." (or something like that).
> So while the developer can be sure I bought the app, I can still use
> it on more than on device.

You're right Sarah, but my point was more that you can't take one of your
apps and arbitrarily hand it off to someone else.  It won't operate because
it's tied to a device ID (development or ad hoc), or your Apple ID (app
store).

I'm losing opacity in my old age...

Regards,

Scott Rossi