Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Oct 21 13:46:57 EDT 2010

I feel your pain. However the G5 is a bit of a unique circumstance. Apple hooked up with IBM to manufacture G5 processors, with the understanding (indeed the written agreement) that IBM would and could keep up with the advances in processor technology. They did not. They never produced a portable G5 chip that used less power, and Intel was leaps and bounds ahead when Apple finally said, "Enough! We have been cross developing OS X for Intel processors in secret, and now we are going to make the switch."

Of course, IBM didn't take that too well, and now do not supply Apple with any G5 chips. The cords are severed. So the real villain in your circumstance is IBM, not Apple. As usual, the details are more complex than the summary. :-)

And remember that manufacturers are only required to support a product for 5 years from the date of manufacture by law. It isn't as though Apple cheated you. You may feel like you have a beef because past Apple machines were so incredibly reliable, but isn't that really an unexpected bonus? If I gave you $100 and a pat on the back for 7 days straight, would you be justified in being upset or disappointed if on the 8th day I gave you nothing?

Bob