[OT] Mac App Store

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 12:23:06 EDT 2010

On 10/21/2010 07:16 PM, Lynn Fredricks wrote:
>>> Is is possible with iOS apps to require registration? I
>> would hate to
>>> think that Apple should have my customer information but not be
>>> allowed to know who my customers are, or not.
>> How does that work with iOS?
>>
>> It's hard to imagine they could be so Draconian.
> We are just finalizing our iValentina for iPhone, which is going to be
> released for free. Our approach to iPhone has simply to be to give away a
> bit of software that doesn't directly touch on our profitability model but
> rather encourage users towards buying what we do sell.
>
> I think there is a simple question to ask -
>
> Do I get to own or have access to the registration data for users of my
> product?
>
> If the answer is Apple does, but you don't, it is 100% contrary to where
> we've been going with software sales since the floppy days.

yes; this is monkey business; if I have worked my bottom off on a piece
of software
I am hardly keen to allow somebody else either access to or ownership of my
user database; as, certainly, they will be using that information for
their own ends
rather than mine.

When my Devawriter Pro is, finally, released, you will have to come to
me to get it, and I
will keep your details close to my chest so that I can "fool" you into
buying more of my
stuff rather than letting Apple, Snapple or Frapple peddle their stuff
to you.