Constant command

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Oct 16 01:18:00 EDT 2010

Robert-

> As others said, this is a matter of programming style. What I often
> use script-wide constants for is for names of objects user interacts
> with. For example, on a card level, I may have several handlers that
> refer to a button or a field (for example, resizestack, scripts that
> handle GUI). Using constant is just convenient. Using script locals

I also use constants to eliminate having magic numbers sprinkled
throughout my scripts. I place them at the top of the script to make
them manageable. Then when I want to change all the indentations in
half a dozen fields, I just have one place to change it. Or I might
define a list of constant values for the rawKeyDown values of the
arrow keys so I can see them all in one place, use the constant names
instead of the values so I don't accidentally key in the wrong one,
and make my code more readable, i.e.,

switch pKeyCode
  case kBackSpaceKey
  case kDeleteKey