An easy way to pipe input into shell commands?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Oct 2 10:56:38 EDT 2010

On Oct 2, 2010, at 6:31 AM, David Bovill wrote:

> Is there a neat way to pipe input into shell commands from STDIN?

You might consider the slave process feature of LiveCode which has
been revamped in 4.5.  Use 'open process' to run the command-line
tool.  Use 'write ... to process' to write to its STDIN.  Get the
result with 'read from process'.  There is an example in the revision
notes.  This is not new.  Working well is presumably new.

The limitation is that when you close the pipe to the process,
LiveCode (that is, the version of Revolution I tested years ago--
things may have changed) also closes the pipe from the process, so
this would not be good for things that do their work after the close,
such as sort.

> put "echo 'Hello world!' | commandLineThatTakesSTDIN" into someShell
> put shell (someShell)

Cool!

Dar Scott

--