[Really-OT] Rio is at a state of war

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon Nov 29 14:21:11 EST 2010

Bob,

heehehehe thanks for the emails and no, Brazil is not a big jungle as people
tend to think. Actually it is not like the FARC that can hide in the jungle
for decades, here they hide in plain sight inside the slums.

And no, elimination will solve nothing. Elimation is not the answer for it
creates a gap that is soon filled by even more violent groups. If you
escalate, so will them. Solution is long term policy of occupation and
giving poor people education, medcare and jobs. This solves problems, the
solution is education + health + jobs. Right now, we need occupation but
this will never solve anything like people from U.S. are now finally
learning from iraq. Occupation will give you order but progress will come
out of positive actions of creating the means and oportunities that are so
good that people will prefer it to crime

The peace/pacifying police units will provide order there and things will
slowly get better. We still have lots of other guys to take down, there are
the milita which are former police officers or current police officers that
play both side. We have corrupt goverment fundind everything... there is a
lot of room to work but the foundation is set, slums will be pacified and
from there things will go up. I hope.

(actually this operation was bloodless compared to what I've seen before,
lots of property were damaged but the loss of lives was minimal, which is
good. I think no civilian died which is a first in here)

we'll see in two weeks how things go...

Now if you guys want to check, the pictures from yesterday

http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/rio-contra-o-crime/fotos/2010/11/fotos-da-onda-de-violencia-no-rio-de-janeiro.html
(Globo News: Rio against Crime special feature)

There are some pretty pics of police officers with kids...