Audio Triggering + Mouse Event latency

René Micout rene.micout at numericable.com
Tue Nov 16 04:26:25 EST 2010

Hello Anthony,
I just returned from a trip and I discovered the discussion. For months (years...) I work on this problem and the best solution I've found in terms of responsiveness is to use PlayCommand Agent X (see Jacqueline web site for that) which controls the QuickTime synthesizer via AppleScript. I have a (Mac) prototype in progress (for iPad in final) called "Exapad" which is based on the principles you have mentioned and which uses "MouseDown" to start the sound and "MouseUp" to stop it. Hare are scripts extremely simplified (because in application chords can be played and arpeggiated) :
global vgVolumeGénéral,vgTimbre -- settings with slider and menu
on mouseDown
   hsJouerNotes the cpNoteBase of the target -- custom property of the note or sound (target = image or button)
end mouseDown
on mouseUp
   hsArrêtNotes the cpNoteBase of the target
end mouseUp
private command hsJouerNotes vpFondam
   SBstartNote vgTimbre,vpFondam,vgVolumeGénéral
end hsJouerNotes
private command hsArrêtNotes vpFondam
   SBstopNote vgTimbre,vpFondam
end hsArrêtNotes
command SBstartNote vpI,vpP,vpV
   do ("tell application"&&quote& "PlayCommand Agent X" &quote && "to" && "play note instrument" && quote & vpI & quote && "pitch" && vpP && "velocity" && vpV) as AppleScript
end SBstartNote
command SBstopNote vpI,vpP
   do ("tell application" && quote & "PlayCommand Agent X" & quote && "to" && "play note instrument"&& quote & vpI & quote && "pitch" && vpP && "velocity" && 0) as AppleScript
end SBstopNote
No latency. Percussion sounds possible...
I stop because I have no more place...
Bon souvenir de Paris
René