AW: corrupted rev file transforming from Win to Mac
Tiemo Hollmann TB
toolbook at kestner.de
Tue Nov 16 02:17:27 CST 2010
Seeing no comments on my topic, helps me to believe that I experienced a
really seldom problem, which I hopefully won't encounter twice.
Actually I even don't know what was really going on with my file. The
explanations where just a theory, which I can't reproduce.
> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com [mailto:use-revolution-
> bounces at lists.runrev.com] Im Auftrag von Tiemo Hollmann TB
> Gesendet: Montag, 15. November 2010 10:40
> An: 'How to use Revolution'
> Betreff: corrupted rev file transforming from Win to Mac
> perhaps this is for interest in case someone makes similar experiences.
> don't know, what is going on behind the scenes, when rev files are
> between Mac and Windows platforms, but there must be something going on
> "codepage converting" and this can led to corruption under unknown
> The first thing was that I found one day corrupted german Umlaute in
> scripts, when I opened my rev file on Mac, coming from a Win 2003
> The corrupted Umlaute broke the execution of some handlers, because
> where not only Umlaute in comments, but they had also Umlaute in their
> names. I ignored it, corrected the handler names to names without
> and didn't cared any more.
> In the last month I had two more strange problems, which were hard to
> down. First was a thing, that suddenly from now to then my Valentina DB
> couldn't work anymore with german Umlaute any more - only on Mac. After
> investigating the Valentina guys found a bug fix for it. The second was
> weeks post that the effective filename returned backslashes instead of
> slashes from now to then in one special stack. I thought it was
> dependent on
> LiveCode 4.5.1.
> In both cases it seems to show that originally it had nothing to do
> Valentina (though the patch worked good) or LiveCode, but of my
> special Rev
> file (though in the case of Valentina it could be reproduced with other
> files). Looking back I think that both theses problems showed up in the
> rev files. Because of a other new bug last week I digged out an old
> of my rev files and yes, none of my odd bugs showed up in this old
> Without knowing, what is the background behind the scenes, I assume,
> apparently there must be some possibility of corruption of rev files.
> If the
> reason is indeed the transformations between the platforms I don't
> know. If
> there are other chances to corrupt a rev file, I don't know.
> Nevertheless I
> will take my old and clean rev file and reengineer the last features by
> into the old file and dump my last three current (and corrupted)
> versions of
> my rev file. And in future, when experiencing an unusual bug from now
> then, which nobody else has ever seen, I will first go back to my
> file and dump the current file because of "corruption".
> This is not a nice procedure and up to now I thought Rev files would
> go corrupted, but I can deal with it, because I have worked for with
> Toolbook, where file corruption was a daily event over years and years
> frequent, hourly backups where life saving.
> use-revolution mailing list
> use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
More information about the use-livecode