corrupted rev file transforming from Win to Mac

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Mon Nov 15 04:40:28 EST 2010

Hi,

perhaps this is for interest in case someone makes similar experiences. I
don't know, what is going on behind the scenes, when rev files are copied
between Mac and Windows platforms, but there must be something going on like
"codepage converting" and this can led to corruption under unknown
circumstances.

The first thing was that I found one day corrupted german Umlaute in some
scripts, when I opened my rev file on Mac, coming from a Win 2003 Server.
The corrupted Umlaute  broke the execution of some handlers, because there
where not only Umlaute in comments, but they had also Umlaute in their
names. I ignored it, corrected the handler names to names without Umlaute
and didn't cared any more.

In the last month I had two more strange problems, which were hard to dig
down. First was a thing, that suddenly from now to then my Valentina DB App
couldn't work anymore with german Umlaute any more - only on Mac. After long
investigating the Valentina guys found a bug fix for it. The second was last
weeks post that the effective filename returned  backslashes instead of
slashes from now to then in one special stack. I thought it was dependent on
LiveCode 4.5.1.

In both cases it seems to show that originally it had nothing to do with
Valentina (though the patch worked good) or LiveCode, but of  my special Rev
file (though in the case of Valentina it could be reproduced with other
files). Looking back I think that both theses problems showed up in the same
rev files. Because of a other new bug last week I digged out an old version
of my rev files and yes, none of my odd bugs showed up in this old file.

Without knowing, what is the background behind the scenes, I assume, that
apparently there must be some possibility of corruption of rev files. If the
reason is indeed the transformations between the platforms I don't know. If
there are other chances to corrupt a rev file, I don't know. Nevertheless I
will take my old and clean rev file and reengineer the last features by hand
into the old file and dump my last three current (and corrupted) versions of
my rev file. And in future, when experiencing an unusual bug from now to
then, which nobody else has ever seen, I will first go back to my latest
file and dump the current file because of "corruption".

This is not a nice procedure and up to now I thought Rev files would "never"
go corrupted, but I can deal with it, because I have worked for with
Toolbook, where file corruption was a daily event over years and years and
frequent, hourly backups where life saving.

Thanks

Tiemo