revServer Documentation

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Nov 11 14:35:00 EST 2010

On Nov 11, 2010, at 12:11 PM, Andrew Kluthe wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am getting my hands wet for the first time playing with revServer through
> my on-rev account. I couldn't find much information on its features and what
> is and isn't available to revServer on the samples site. This seems to be
> the only documentation I could find.
>
> Is there a dictionary or a user guide or a different mailing list for
> revServer that I can refer to? Also, are there any good third party hubs for
> revServer articles or samples?

Hi Andrew,

I think you'll enjoy learning irev scripting. It opens up a new world of possibilities.

You should have gotten a link to a document from runrev when you signed up for your on-rev account, which lists the salient differences between LiveCode development and irev scripting. That's a good reference but doesn't give many concrete examples. Here are a couple of places to start:

Sarah Reichelt's on-rev links at http://www.troz.net/. She has lots of really good, well-documented examples, along with links to other sites.

In my class last winter I taught a module on server-side scripting with Rev. You're welcome to peruse the notes and see if they are helpful. Just go to http://revolution.byu.edu and click on Introduction to Programming Revolution. Then scroll down to the section called Server-side Scripting with revTalk.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University