Creative Common Copyright Notice in Standalones

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Nov 10 16:40:50 EST 2010

  I'm planning to release a [possibly significant] set of stacks
(splash-engine + Mainstack + ePub tools stack) into the "wild"  for
anyone who has a Rev License to use

It is called "Grapple - Simple RCS of InDesign" and partially addresses
the huge gap that Adobe left for many publishers when they discontinued
Version Cue, leaving many, many shops with no version control.

Well, I built one for our own team and everyone loves it. It has it's
pros and cons, but if your managing editor and page editors-designers
are all really happy with it -- these are men who have been creating
books and magazines for 30 years -- it means I must have got something
right. We have been using it for 4 issues of Hinduism Today and it is
pretty solid now.

I wont' be issuing it as a stand alone because there are some
localizations required to make it work. Any savvy LiveCoder can handle
it... I just created a GUI for a Version Control folder on the LAN
server, a mirror in the users local /Documents/Local Version Control.
Folder. The rest is simple checks on file status based on file name (no
dbase ma!) and use of shell cp and mv  to copy, make archives, rename
files and launch inDesign. It's lean, no dbase, very little admin
overhead and it works. If you were ever an admin for Version Cue (used
MySQL on the server) all your headaches disappear with Grapple.

  I also don't want to get involved in support.  It may turn out to be
"nothing" or it may be an entry for both RunRev-LiveCode and some
developers to break into the  in-house publisher's desktop tools market,
which is fairly big. Adobe promised to publish an API that big time DAM
developers could use. But I don't think it is happening. Once publishers
get a taste of what LiveCode can do for their shop (widgets for all
kinds of tasks) they will want more.

But I also want to make sure that no one else makes it their
"proprietary" app. Any Rev developer can take it, use it modify it and
even sell it, or bill him-herself as a "Grapple Developer"... and charge
for the stacks or the support thereof... but he (or any company that may
hire shim) should not be able to "sue" or prevent anyone else from doing
the same.

Exactly where and how do I put a creative commons license into a stack
(normally you enter such in the standalone builder) and which creative
commons license do I use and how do you implement it. Do you copy the
whole license to an "About" substack" or just have a link to the online
Creative Commons License.

This Publishing Open Source code is all new to me.

Thanks!
Sivakatirswami

P.S. Any one who has experience with print shops and publications teams
who use Adobe products, who also has at least 8 years experience with
LiveCode on the Mac, please contact me off list if you are interested in
being put a referrals list. If you are also a cross platform developer
let me know as the demand for a Windows version will be there coming our
of the gate.