slash and backslash in effective filename - why?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed Nov 10 11:47:55 EST 2010

Back slashes are used in netbios network share names. \\my-server\data is how you would refer to a share on a PC using the netbios convention. Apple uses a different method, with fully qualified domain names ex. sbm://my-server.lan/data. Once you have the volume mounted though, you would use the mount point /volumes/data.

Might a file you are refrencing be a netbios volume?

Bob