[OT] Browsing the internet... It is safer from Linux?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Nov 1 05:41:20 EDT 2010

Peter,

AVG does regular scans of my drives. Furthermore, I every now and then
do spyware checks and I do a lot of high end rendering, which needs
about 99% of my processor, so I'm fairly familiar with the services
and apps I run. I have a network monitor gauge on my desktop which
let's me know what's going out and coming in.

So, I guess if there is malware on my machine, it's never caused me
any problems, as it doesn't seem to consume processor cycles or
network bandwidth, and I have never seen any identity theft. And
seeing how I make my living on my Windows machine, and have since
around 1994 (before that it was a Mac), I would find it very
debilitating to have to take it off the network because I was scared
of malware.

But, if anyone is very concerned of such attacks, than by all means
unplug it from the network. And NEVER plug a USB drive into it. And
it's always a good idea to unplug it from the wall during a storm--
while you stand under a doorway or curl up fetal-like in the tub--
just to be super safe.