Problems setting a player object to an alias in a script

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon May 31 11:36:39 EDT 2010

Howard Bornstein wrote:
> I want to set a player object to an alias of an MP3 file. If I do it in a
> script, the player returns the message "could not create movie reference".
> However, if I set the player manually (i.e. by clicking the folder icon on
> property palette's source field) it takes the alias as a valid file.

That's because the OS re-interprets the alias to point to a valid file
reference, and returns that instead of the alias path. You'd need to do
that yourself if you want to script it, otherwise you won't get a valid
file name.

> However, when selecting a file for the player manually, using the built-in
> dialog box, there is an Enable popup that defaults to Quicktime Movies. When
> this is selected, it is impossible to select an MP3 file. But if I change
> the popup to All Files, then I can choose the MP3.
>
> Apparently, when trying to do this via script, the MP3s are not available
> because All Files (or its equivalent) is not selected. How can I get access
> to all files using the "set filename of player n to [filename]" in
> Transcript?

The dimming of certain file types is just a selector filter within the
Open File dialog, it has no bearing on what files can be chosen or
opened by script.

I think the problem you are having is that the alias is interpreted by
Rev as an actual file instead of a pointer to a file. Since the alias
file itself isn't an mpg, you get the error. Try using the
aliasReference function to get the real file name and set your player to
that instead.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com