Problems setting a player object to an alias in a script

Howard Bornstein howard.bornstein at gmail.com
Sun May 30 18:30:06 EDT 2010

I want to set a player object to an alias of an MP3 file. If I do it in a
script, the player returns the message "could not create movie reference".
However, if I set the player manually (i.e. by clicking the folder icon on
property palette's source field) it takes the alias as a valid file.

However, when selecting a file for the player manually, using the built-in
dialog box, there is an Enable popup that defaults to Quicktime Movies. When
this is selected, it is impossible to select an MP3 file. But if I change
the popup to All Files, then I can choose the MP3.

Apparently, when trying to do this via script, the MP3s are not available
because All Files (or its equivalent) is not selected. How can I get access
to all files using the "set filename of player n to [filename]" in
Transcript?

--
Regards,

Howard Bornstein