revMobile and SDK

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at mines-paristech.fr
Sun May 30 15:53:35 EDT 2010

In France, the Competition council stated that it was illegal for Orange to be the sole distributor of the iPhone. If I recall correctly, the complaint was issued by Bouygues Telecom, whose CEO, incidentally, is a close friend of Nicolas Sarkozy. The consequence was a sharp increase in the overall number of sold iPhones.
There no official complaint whatsoever in France as for the way apps are distributed to the iPhone. After all, the iPhone is not in a position of dominance in the market of mobile phones, or even smartphones. It only has set some trends. In my opinion, Apple has the same right to govern the distribution channels for the very devices is sells, much like it has the right to bind the sale of Mac OS X to the sale of a Macintosh. It is their own product in both cases, and neither is in a position of such dominance that it can be a threat to competition.
As far as I can tell, the commercialization of the iPhone has resulted in an overall increase of "smartphones" at the expense of traditional mobile phones. So, in the point of view of the EU, it is not a threat to competition, and, if I understand the US rules, it has been beneficial to the consumer, so, even if Apple had a position of dominance, it would not be illegal by US rules (is that right?)
I my opinion, much more questionable is the way Apple manipulates the market of NAND memory chips, but this is not a high profile issue.
Best regards,
	François