Setting file permissions on remote server

Bob Earp rjearp at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 16:57:52 EDT 2010

I have an app that reads/writes from/to a data file on a remote server.  So far there's only been one user of the app, but I wish to allow a number of users to use the app in different locations, which means I have to consider the case where more than one user wants to write to the file at the same time.
I was thinking that setting the data file's permissions "read only" with the first user to open the file would be the easiest way to solve this, but can't seem to get that going.  Maybe there is an easier way, or more probably I'm just being a dufus here ;-)
In any event, does anybody have some words of wisdom/guidance, or better still a sample ?
Many thanks, Bob...
Bob Earp - White Rock, British Columbia, Canada