[SQL][On-Rev] Bulk import into PostgreSQL on On-Rev

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri May 21 15:25:42 EDT 2010

  On 21/05/2010 19:54, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I wouldn't look at it that way. You can get an all day ticket at Disneyland. You can ride all the rides, or just some of them, or none at all. You can't get a cheaper ticket if you promise not to ride some of the rides. It's kind of like that.
>
> I saw a great video of an English man trying to get the price down on a tooth extraction. He said that getting the cost down was of primary importance. After talking the dentist into not using an assistant, having no anesthetic, taking only 15 minutes as opposed to an hour, and making clear that the procedure would be excruciatingly painful this way, but after all low price was of paramount importance, he talked the dentist down from 1400 pounds to just 200!
>
> Once they had settled all that the man said, "Excellent! I will send my wife right over!"
>
> Bob

I did better than that in Carbondale, Illinois in 1995.

I was due to have a root canal and they were going to charge me $2000 (
a sum I didn't have) and
were unable to understand why I felt that was expensive ("it's cheap
because the University dentistry
is subsidised"). I told them there was absolutely no way I could pay
that for a root canal and a crown;
but if they could just kill the nerve and plug the hole my Father-in-law
would do the rest in Bulgaria for
nothing.

Bless them; they killed the nerve and plugged the hole (and 2 weeks'
later Tatko put in a post and a
gold crown which is with me still - although, sadly he is not) and
charged me nothing.

I still don't have $2000; but I have bought a pair of pliers so my kids
get the gold when I move on!

And the lesson is: always let a Scotsman in a kilt who has connections
in Bulgaria off the hook . . .  :)