Playing wav sound file in Linux in background?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue May 18 14:14:18 EDT 2010

John Patten wrote:
> Hi All...
>
> I've been having a problem playing back an audio file on a Linux
> computer using an "arecord"  a shell script to first create the audio file.
>
> The audio file gets created on the local machine, it then gets uploaded
> to an ftp directory, however when I go to play the sound file locally
> using just Rev it's just static white noise.

This is a typical symptom of playing back a file format that Rev doesn't
support. You can't use any kind of compressed file format. Try
re-recording using an uncompressed format, preferably saving as .au for
Linux playback if possible.

I'm not sure, even so, whether Rev will wait for the whole file to
arrive before playing it. I suspect it will.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com