player object and https URL

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Tue May 18 09:46:30 EDT 2010

J. Landman Gay <jacque at ...> writes:

> I know almost nothing about it so I probably shouldn't say anything, but
> don't you need some kind of certificate to access https pages?

Hi,  I thought so too and there is the command sslcertificates which the
dictionary says is to set the list of files and folders to search for ssl
certificates.

However if I set the file name of an image object to an https URL
 the image will load without me specifying sslcertificates.
This is what made me think that I don't need to use the sslcertificates
command

Also if I use revbrowser it will open https sites and it will open a
movie hosted on an https page.  So RevBrowswer is handling https sites
without me specifying the path to ssl certificates.

I am not sure if it is a bug that the https URL doesn't work in the player
or if there is something that I am supposed to do in terms of handling
or providing the path to the ssl certificates on the computer.

I am just learning about this so I have been experimenting with a few things.

I tried

open secure socket to "www.mysecuresite.com:443" with message "wasConnected"

this opens the socket which i can see with

answer the opensockets()

This shows the socket forwww.mysecuresite.com:443 as open

Still after I open the socket when I set the filename of the player to a movie
on the secure  site no movie is loaded in the player

Martin