getting the user's (internet, not local network) IP address

Michael Kann mikekann at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 21:14:42 EDT 2010

Bob and Alex,

Thank you both for educating me a little bit about how my youtube addiction is fed. Bob, thanks for the heads up about being more vigilant. Here's my mental model of how it works for me:

I pay money to my cable provider (Suddenlink). I find a cable coming into my house, attach a cable modem to the cable, then connect my computer to the cable modem. Suddenlink sends my computer an IP number to use while I'm connected (a dynamic address I think it's called). ipconfig says I also have a default gateway.

The part that scares me a little is Bob's remark:
Still, I think the more likely scenario for this thread is that he -- that being me -- doesn't have a firewall solution that is not a personal firewall, which I always recommend for any home user or business.
What that tells me is that a personal firewall isn't really sufficient.

Thanks again for the info,

Mike