[audio] Call for an updated enhanced quicktime audio library or a small audio complementary library!

Robert Mann rman at free.fr
Fri May 14 09:21:20 EDT 2010

Thanks for particiapting, and... Good point...!

I do not precisely remember having tried this cross fade trick. Have you?

So far, i understood that the playLoudness would fix the general system
loudness.
So that... you could not really cross fade, but only fade in succession :
fade out - from 100 to nill - fade in back from nil to 100. And this does
leave a real bad hole in perception!

I'll give it a go to make sure.. for the record.

>> Again, this will only work with player objects, not imported WAV files.
This implies again to make a copy of the files to the hard disk, with
possible problems if user hard quits, leaving rubbish behind. But again so
far the only solution it seems!

>> The bigger issue is synchronized start/stop of the players.
In my project I'm dealing with small chunks of voice recordings. So so
mix'in and out is really short. I will try it that way though.

++ the idea would be to do the fade in and out just once and record the
audio chunks as such, thus applying audio effects on the files, and keep
them nicely in the stack, hence the call for an audio library applying
effects on wave files, before playing with the player.

+ Ideally if runrev supported an open source compressed format we could deal
with quite a lot more audio within the stacks, not relying solely on
quicktime. We can always output to quicktime at the final stage, but we
would need some more independant way of housing in a stack compressed audio.
And this should not be too difficult as these open standards exist.

AAC could be a good move, for its widespread use and on mobiles too
(android), thought there may be some license requirements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

We are soon going to face an "interesting (!)" sad situation : we're going
to have better audio functions on mobile platforms than on runrev
desktops.... time to pull the alarm trigger!